Time: 1 Hour
Cool off time : 10 Minutes
Maximum : 30 Score
General Instructions to candidates:
- In addition to the two hours of writing time, there is a 15-minute ‘cool off time’.
- In the ‘cool off time’ you are not permitted to write your answers or to discuss anything with others.
- Use the ‘cool off time’ to familiarize yourself with the questions and to prepare your answers.
- Read questions carefully before you answer.
- There is no external choice allowed and all questions are compulsory.
- Using the same question as your selection, you must answer all sub-questions. ,
- The answer sheet should contain calculations, figures, and graphs.
- The questions are available in Malayalam as well.
- Give equations wherever necessary.
- Except for non-programmable calculators, electronic devices are not allowed in the Examination Hall.
(Questions 1 to 3) : Answer all the questions. Each question carries 1 score. (3 × 1 = 3)
Identify the freshwater fish from the following:
In Gel electrophoresis the separated DNA fragments can be visualized after staining. Name the stain used for it.
In a forest ecosystem different plant species are occupied in different vertical levels. Name such vertical arrangement.
(Questions 4 to 14. Answer any 9 questions. Each question carries 2 scores. (9 × 2 = 18)
Primate and non-primate female mammals exhibit cyclic changes in the activities of ovaries and accessory ducts as well as hormones during the reproductive phase. Name the cyclic changes in these groups.
Primates – menstrual cycle
Nonprimate – oestrous cycle
Bamboo species and Strobilanthus Kunthiana exhibit usual flowering phenomena. Explain their flowering characteristics.
Bamboo – flower only after 50- 100 years
Strobilanthus kunthiana – flower once in 12 years
A population has certain attributes that an individual organism does not. What are they?
- Sex ratio
- Population density
Multiple copies of gene of interest can be synthesised in vitro. Name the technique and its requirements.
Polymerase chain reaction
2 set of Primers and DNA Polymerase enzyme
Catalytic converters are used in automobiles to control air pollution. Briefly comment on its role.
Unburnt hydrocarbons are converted into carbon dioxide and water.
Carbon monoxide and nitric oxide are changed to carbon dioxide and nitrogen gas respectively.
Your friend wishes to start a poultry farm. What are the important suggestions given to him for the successful management of the farm?
- Selection of disease-free breeds
- Proper and safe farm conditions
- Proper feed and water and hygiene and health care are components of poultry farm management.
Pollination by water is seen in Zostera and Vallisneria. Enumerate its adaptations.
- In Vallisneria, the female flower reach the surface of water by the long stalk and the male flowers or pollen grains are released on to the surface of water. Stigma collects pollen grains and reached the water inside.
- In zostera female flowers are found inside the water and pollen grains are released in the water.
- In some species pollen grains are prevented from wetting by mucilaginous covering.
Parasites evolved special adaptations to live on host. What are they?
- Loss of unnecessary sense organs
- Presence of suckers to cling on to the host
- Loss of digestive system and
- High reproductive capacity.
Domestic sewage and industrial effluents contain large amount of nutrients. What are the probable effects of these nutrients on water bodies?
- It causes excessive growth of planktonic (free-floating) algae, called an algal bloom which gives colour to the water bodies.
- Algal blooms cause lose of water quality and fish mortality.
Match the Column A with Column B :
|Column A||Column B|
|a) Human Alpha lactalbumin||1) Elisa|
|b) Antigen-Antibody Interaction||2) Eli Lily|
|c) Genetically engineered Insulin||3) Corn Borer|
|d) Cry I Ab||4) Rosie|
|5) Boll Worm|
|Column A||Column B|
|a) Human Alpha lactalbumin||Rosie|
|b) Antigen-Antibody Interaction||Elisa|
|c) Genetically engineered Insulin||Eli lily|
|d) Cry I Ab||Corn Borer|
Humification leads to accumulation of a dark coloured amorphous substance. Identify the substance and its peculiarities.
The substance is humus.
It is highly resistant to microbial action and undergoes decomposition at an extremely slow rate. It serves as the reservoir of nutrients.
(Questions 15 to 18): Answer any 3 questions. Each question carries 3 scores. (3 × 3 = 9)
Bt cotton is a transgenic pest resistant plant.
a) How this was achieved?
b) How do this plant survive on pest attack?
a) Cry genes are isolated from Bacillus thuringiensis and inserted into cotton by gene manipulation technique.
b) Bt toxin protein exists as inactive protoxins. It is converted into an active form in the presence of the alkaline pH of insect gut.
The activated toxin binds to the surface of midgut epithelial cells and creates pores that causes cell swelling and lysis and results in the death of insect.
Depending on the source of pollen, pollination can be divided into three types. What are they? Explain each.
It is the transfer of pollen grains from the anther to the stigma of the same flower.
Transfer of pollen grains from the anther to the stigma of another flower of the same plant.
Transfer of pollen grains from anther to the stigma of a different plant.
Hydrach succession takes place in wetter areas and the successional series progress from ‘hydric’ to ‘mesic’ condition. List out the stages in correct sequence.
- Phytoplankton stage.
- Submerged plant stage.
- Submerged free-floating plant stage
- Reed swamp stage
- Marsh – meadow stage.
- Scrub stage.
- Forest stage.
Restriction endonuclease enzymes are used to cut the DNA at specific sequence.
a) Write the name of first isolated one.
b) Write the convention for naming these enzymes.
a) Hind II
b) First capital letter – genus name
Second two letters – species name
Next letter – the strain of bacterium from which the restriction enzyme is isolated
Last roman letter – order of isolation of enzyme.